Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not So Lazy Sunday


So last night was lovely. Bill and I stayed in with sushi takeout (Taipei Tokyo in Davis Square = amazing) and watched Good Will Hunting. As per usual, I fell asleep about 45 minutes into the movie.

This morning I woke up naturally around 8. Every Sunday we go to yoga taught by our friend Jenna in Ball Square at 10am. I knew I had 9 miles on my schedule for my day and my original plan was to go before yoga and then end at the studio for an hour of stretching. At 8am though, I just wasn't feeling it. SO instead, I dove into one of my new paleo cookbooks (more on this another time) and baked up a batch of paleo Morning Glory muffins. mmmmm!

Once they finished, we were off to yoga for an awesome hour of stretching and twisting. I love Jennas classes. Always a good mix of heated flow and deep stretching.

After yoga, we hit up the Ball Square Cafe for brunch. I had never been before but had heard nothing but great things...and man were those great things right. I got an artichoke and tomato omelette with grilled homefry mash and the table shared a bowl of fruit. YUM. I was stuffed.

I had then planned to do my 9 miles after brunch, but I needed a while to digest. A long while. I ended up coming home, cleaning the apartment, watching an episode of mad men, doing 2 loads of laundry, and taking a nap before I finally got out the door.

But when I did get out the door, I felt awesome. Tonight was one of the best runs I've had in a very very very long time. I've been in a running rut for months. I've been doing it, but I definitely haven't been enjoying it. I actually don't remember the last run I've enjoyed since.... my half marathon in Washington DC... last march. heh. But tonight turned that all around. I felt happy and strong for every step for all 9 miles. The sun was setting and Boston was gorgeous.









So one of my New Years resolutions is to be more laid back about my Type A personality  Confession: in 2012 I felt like I was in a bad mood all the time (I know, a pretty terrible thing to say but  true). In college I used to love loading my schedule up with classes, extracurriculars, sports, work, friends, etc. When I entered the fulltime working world, I think I assumed I would have even more time to dedicate to everything I wanted to do, but I was very wrong. Last year, I felt so pressured to complete every task on my plate, that I forgot how to enjoy doing a lot of the things that I loved to do (like spending time with friends, and running, and just plain old relaxing). My hardwork did pay off in some ways ( I ran 4 half marathons, got an awesome promotion and raise at work, and did some fun traveling), but I also felt like I missed out on actually enjoying a lot of the little things along the way.

So although I kind of did a lot today, I also feel completely relaxed. I didn't do anything because I felt pressured to accomplish it. I did all this stuff because I wanted to. This will be a mindset I'll have to remember during the next few months of marathon training. No one's making me do this. I'm running it because I want to. Cheers to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment