Sunday, January 12, 2014

San Diego Training Week 1



Oh hey! Since the last time I posted, a lot has happened. Mainly, Olga and I have decided to run the 2014 San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon on June 1!


That gives us roughly 6 months to train, and we're going to take it nice and slow. My goal only for this race is to make it there. And by that I mean, not get injured. I found a nice Hal Higdon novice plan that builds the mileage very gradually so we have high hopes. We already bought the plane tickets to at least we have that much going for us.

This past week kicked off week 1 of marathon training. Here is what was prescribed:

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Rest2 m run3 m run2.5 m runRest5.5 m run30 min walk

and it was a success! Which is really exciting considering I was in Cancun Monday-Thursday on a work trip.

Monday-Wedesday
I did my short runs on Tues and Wed at the hotel treadmill at the Fiesta Americana in Cancun, which overlooked the Caribbean Sea. Very Nice.

Displaying photo.JPG

Thursday
rest

Friday
Thursday was an exhausting travel day so I ended up doing the 2.5 run on Friday. I actually ended up doing 3 since my legs felt pretty good. i did that one as a speed workout on a treadmill at the gym, this one to be precise:
Displaying photo.JPG

Saturday
Double workout! Saturday morning I woke up planning to go to crossfit. I was feeling pretty tight though so I decided to first go to a 75 min vinyasa yoga class at the Corner Studio, followed by crossfit. The WOD yesterday was a good one, filled with lots of different movements.

Metcon

1/11/14 (Time)

With a Partner, 4 rounds of 4 minutes of work, 1 minute rest between rounds. 1 Partner works at a time
Round 1
- WallBalls (Min 1 and 2)
- Partner Medball situps (6′) (Min 3 and)
Round 2
- Thrusters (95, 65)
-OH Squats
Round 3
- Air Squats
- Burpees
Round 4
- Pullups
- Toes to Bar
For round 2, I did shoulder to overhead and squat lunges since my left hip has been really fussy when I squat lately. I just finished up 4 weeks of physically therapy on it, but I'm pretty sure i have a hip impingement that will cause deep squats to hurt forever. yikes.

Friday
First long run! Today was great, my first long run of the training, with almost all negative splits! 
Displaying Run 1.14.png
 
I was supposed to do 5.5 today, but the route I chose ended up being close to 6.5. I went all along the Charles and it was gorgeous. I decided to run to the 6 mile mark, then walk the rest of the way as a cool down.
Displaying photo 4.JPG

Displaying photo 5.JPG

Displaying photo 1.JPG

I want to do a better job of tracking and experimenting with what i eat pre and post long runs. I've had stomach issues in the past with running, and want to rid them once and for all. Today actually went really well! I had a little bit of cramping around mile 2, but nothing too bad. Here was breakfast, eaten about an hour before the run:
Displaying photo 1.JPG
Displaying photo 2.JPG
2 Kashi 7 grain waffles with Teddy PB and a banana. I considered only having one, but I had so much energy throughout this entire run that 2 might have just done the trick.

Post run: Fage 2% plain greek yogurt with a chopped apple and kashi cinnamon wheat squares
Displaying photo 3.JPG

And that's all! Now for some pics of pups:

Olive before I left on my run. She's mad I"m not taking her.

Displaying photo 3.JPG

And this BEAST of a pup at the dog park in the afternoon::
Displaying photo 4.JPG




No comments:

Post a Comment