Saturday, March 23, 2013

Swallowing Razors and a Billion Wall Balls

This has been quite the long week. As mentioned in my last post, I came down with strep throat last Saturday. Who knows how I got the virus, but it made Saturday-Tuesday pretty lame. It hurt to cough, swallow, talk, sneeze, and even breathe. My coworker mentioned how she had it recently and it felt like swallowing razors, and that was right on. Luckily though, the antibiotics did their magic and I was back to (almost) good as new by Wednesday. Needless to say, there was no running going on for the first half of the week. Even walking around the apartment was exhausting.

I was back to work on Wednesday but gave it one more day before returning to physically activity. 

Thursday I headed to Crossfit after work. For strength we did 8x1 Squat Snatches. I did 45 lb, which was light and comfortable, but I was scared to go heavier after being sick all week. The workout was a 7 min AMRAP of 5 toes-to-bar, 5 power cleans (45 lb), and 5 front squat (45 lb). The coach was actually pretty blunt and angry with me for using such a low weight on a short workout that was meant to be heavy. I felt so whiney saying  I was trying to get over being sick earlier in the week, but oh welllz, it was the truth. 

I'm actually glad I went light on Thursday night because I went to the 6am Friday WOD and it was BRUTAL. We did the 13.3 Crossfit Games workout. It consisted of 150 wall balls (14 lb), 90 Double Unders, and 30 Muscle Ups as a 12 min AMRAP. The "as many reps as possible" part was kind of a joke since most mortals cannot get through this workout in 12 minutes. Even the top people in my gym struggled to get through a few muscle ups. I had never done a workout with the 14 lb wallball, but since I knew I wouldn't get far in the workout anyway, I decided to give it a go. My coach gave us a few different strategies and I decided to go with 10 reps + 10 seconds of rest. I was good for the first hundred but after that things went downhill. I started missing reps like crazy, whether I was missing the wall completely, missing the target, or just missing the ball (yes, I got hit in the face a good 3-4 times). At the end of the 12 minutes, I finished 137 wall balls RX, which I was both proud and disappointed in. Proud because I have actually never done a WOD with lots of wall balls, ESPECIALLY one with a 14lb ball. I was mad because I definitely had ~20+ no reps, which still take just as much energy but don't count. If I had done each one correctly, I would have definitely gotten well into the double unders. OH WELLLLL. Maybe I'll do it again sometime soon..but not too soon.

This morning I woke up SO FREAKING SORE. I walked like an old lady. so what does one do when they are too sore to walk? they run! I went out for a slow 2.5 miles to loosen up the leggies. Then I went to crossfit. Yep, 3 days straight on very sore legs. To be honest though, that gym is way too pricey to NOT go 3-4 times a week. And our vacation to St Thomas is in 29 days so I have a bathing suit to get ready for :)

This morning's workout was also brutal but didn't involve any squats (thank god). In the warmup, the coach had us do 10 air squats and the whole gym was groaning in pain. It did feel good to move the muscles around though. The workout was a 4 min AMRAP of 7 power cleans (65#) and 10 pushups, then 4 mintues of rest, then 4 min AMRAP of 7 shoulders-to-overhead (65#) and 14 toes-bar (knees to elbow in my case), twice through (total of 16 min of work). 65# was the highest weight I've done in a fast workout for both power clean and presses so I felt really good at the end :) Woo for getting stronger!

I got home to a lovely Saturday. Bill had made me a glorious paleo-friendly breakfast of 3 eggs, bacon, spinach, and avocado. yummm. Then we drove up to NH since tomorrow's my pop's 60th birthday (whoa!). On the way we stopped by a local favorite coffee shop, the Sherman Market where I got some snacks for the road: 

holy YUM. It looks weird in the picture, but this Walnut Merigue thing was delicious. No, not super paleo, but sometimes you just have to go with something awesome looking when you see it. The green tea was also great, light and very basil-forward. 

Once I got home, I spent the afternoon shopping at the outlets with Olga. I got a few impulse buys: a tshirt from Under Armor (below), a summery dress from BR for the vacation, and a white sports bra (for black light yoga). 
Then mom and I went out and about gathering stuff for my dad's birthday tomorrow. We're having about 30 people over for a surprise brunch. I'm really excited to help my mom pull it all together. 

And now I'm just relaxing with the following:


Cab Sav, dark chocolate (bought on my recent trip to Germany), and blogs. We have a delicious dinner of Meathouse Chicken breasts and broccoli on the way. Fun day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment